If you are using our Perfect Pizza Dough recipe for this recipe, remember that the dough needs to sit in the refrigerator overnight to activate the gluten before using. If you are using store bought, this extra step is not needed. Prep time listed is active prep time and does not include time required to let the dough rest or come up to room temperature.
- 2 7-ounce pizza dough balls (see recipe here) or store bought
- 2 cups peeled diced granny smith apples (2 apples)
- ¼ cup rough chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup mixed raisins and currants (any combination)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- Pan spray
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon Turbinado or Demarara sugar (raw sugar)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- ½ hours before serving, pull dough from refrigerator and set on pan brushed with olive oil or sprayed with pan spray. Spray or brush the tops, cover with plastic and a dish towel and let sit at room temperature for two hours. If using store bought dough, adjust time downward depending on the quality, texture and flexibility of the dough.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a floured surface cut each seven ounce dough ball in half giving you four balls. With a rolling pin, roll out dough to six inches round or square. Repeat for other three dough balls.
- In a medium bowl, mix apples, walnuts, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, salt, raisins, cheese and agave nectar (or honey).
- Divide this mixture between each dough square placing a pile in the center. Brush the edges slightly with water and then pull all of the edges towards the center and squeeze and seal. It is ok if there are a few gaps left open, just bring them to the top so the filling does not leak out. Make sure the top is tightly pressed together with a little twisting and squeezing motion.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet pan or cookie sheet and spray tops with pan spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and brush with softened or melted butter then immediately sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Serve hot out of the oven with vanilla ice cream.