- Shortening and flour to prepare pan
- 2½ cups quartered, fresh strawberries (cut the strawberries in quarters, then measure)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8-inch springform pan.
- Place quartered strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar. Stir to coat, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut cold butter into small ½-inch pieces and sprinkle over the flour mixture, being careful not to let the pieces of butter touch each other. Use a pastry blender to mix the butter into the flour mixture, creating a crumb-like texture (make sure that the butter is evenly mixed into the flour as much as possible). Add egg and mix just enough so that the egg is evenly mixed throughout, but you still have a crumbly texture.
- Measure out 1 cup of the crumb mixture and set aside. Pour the remaining crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared springform pan. Spread the strawberries evenly across the crumb mixture in the pan. Using a teaspoon, place dollops of Nutella over the strawberries. Sprinkle the top of the strawberry-Nutella layer with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top crumb mixture is golden. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing sides of the springform pan, then slice to serve.
- Note: We think this Strawberry Nutella Crumb Torte tastes best when served warm. This can be made in advance and chilled. Then reheat slightly in a warm oven just before serving.
Keywords: Strawberry Nutella Crumb Torte