For the Cake
- 2 tablespoons butter to grease the bundt pan
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground anise seed (easily ground in mortar with pestle)
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon roasted cinnamon (we used roasted Saigon cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground clove
- 6 eggs separated
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Zest from one navel orange
- 1 ¼ cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups (honey and agave mixed or all of one or the other)
- ¼ cup spiced Rum (We used Captain Morgan)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Toasted pecans
- 6 ounces pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
For the Icing
- 4 ounce cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in the top third of the oven.
- Butter a ten inch Bundt pan with two tablespoons butter.
- Sift flour, mace, anise, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves into a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy for about five minutes. They should start to take on the appearance of mayonnaise and get a bit thick.
- Add orange zest and beat to combine.
- With the mixer on low, add in olive oil, honey, agave and rum until blended.
- Add dry to wet and slowly mix to combine. Scrape sides and mix again.
- Beat the egg whites and the salt with a hand mixer until you have soft peaks and gently fold into cake batter by hand.
- Pour batter into buttered Bundt pan. Rap the pan on the counter a few times to pop any big bubbles and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. If after 50 minutes, the cake looks like it is getting too dark along the edges, lower heat to 325 for the last ten minutes.
- Cool inverted on a cooling rack until completely cool.
- While cake is cooking, bring a small pan of water to a boil and drop in pecans. Boil one minute then drain.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt butter and oil and add pecans and all seasonings. Stir and toss for about five minutes until golden brown. Pour out onto a plate lined with paper towels and cool.
- To make icing, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar in stand mixer with paddle until creamy and well combined. Add vanilla and cream on low speed until combined. Scrape bowl and mix again. The icing will be piped onto cake so make sure you beat out all lumps so it doesn’t clog the piping tube.
- To assemble, invert Bundt onto plate or pedestal with rounded side up.
- Spoon icing into pastry bag lined with small round tip.
- In sweeping motions, swirl back and forth around whole cake until all of the icing is used.
- Place toasted spiced pecans over cake while icing is still soft.
- Allow to cool before serving.