For the Pasta Frolla dough
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest from half a lemon
- 2 cups flour
For the Filling
- 1 ½ cups whole almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup honey
For the Topping
- ½ cup Honey for drizzling
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted*
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter then add both sugars and salt. Cream until fluffy, about two minutes.
- With mixer on low, add the egg and egg yolk until mixed.
- Add vanilla and zest and mix again.
- With mixer on low, add each cup of flour until combined.
- Remove from bowl and knead by hand for about a minute.
- Refrigerate dough wrapped in plastic for up to three days or at least for two hours.
- While dough is setting up in the refrigerator, make filling.
- In the bowl of food processor, process nuts to a fine crumb but not pureed.
- Toss with cinnamon then add honey. Mix and refrigerate for later use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten and work pasta frolla dough so that it becomes soft and pliable but not warm.
- Roll into a 12×12-inch square.
- Cut square into eight strips.
- Remove filling from refrigeration and divide into eight pieces.
- Spray your hands with pan spray or a little oil and roll out one of the filling pieces into a log the same length as the dough strips. Repeat for other pieces.
- Lay one filling log over each strip of dough and bring sides of dough to center but do not pinch closed.
- Cut each strip into three. You should have 24 mini logs.
- Take each one and twist around once so the log now has spiral stripes.
- Place 12 on each of two parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes until lightly browned. Do not over bake.
- Slide parchment with twists onto cooling racks and cool completely.
- When ready to serve, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with toasted almond slices.
- *To toast almond slices, in a sauté pan over medium heat, place nuts into dry pan and toss and cook for about five minutes until browned