For the Spice shake
- 3 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black pepper corns
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
For the Dipping sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (one lime)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce (more or less depending on how hot you like it) Tabasco can be substituted
For the Skewers
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into about 20 large chunks
- 4 scallions (white and green parts), chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 2 large red bell peppers halved, seeded and the halves quartered (8 pieces per pepper)
- 2 medium red onions, skinned but root left on, cut into 8 wedges per onion (Note: Leaving the root on will prevent them from falling apart while grilling.)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 limes quartered for garnish
- Prepared white Basmati rice, for serving
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least one hour.
To Prepare the Shake:
- In a small sauté pan over medium heat, dry roast coriander, peppercorns and sesame seeds. Shake the pan often and cook for 2-3 minutes or just until you see a bit of smoke. Remove immediately to cool.
- If you have a small food processor, like this one, process toasted spices until finely crushed.
- If not, lay the toasted spices out in a sheet tray and crush with the bottom of a heavy skillet. Set aside for serving.
To Prepare The Dipping Sauce:
- Combine the soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and sriracha. Set aside for serving.
To Prepare the Skewers:
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, scallions, ginger and sesame seed oil. Toss well.
- Begin threading chicken, peppers and onions on skewers alternately. Either end should have chicken or onion as the pepper will slip off at the ends. The onion should be pierced straight through each layer so it stays on the skewer as it cooks. Pour any leftover ginger mixture over the skewers. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over each skewer.
- Over a medium grill, oil the grates with an oil soaked paper towel. Grill the skewers about 5-7 minutes per side and remove when the chicken is done and the vegetables are tender. Pull open the largest piece of chicken to test for doneness. It should be cooked through.
- Grill the lime wedges if desired to add char marks.
- Place the skewers on a platter and sprinkle with the spice shake on all sides and garnish with the grilled lime wedges. (Save any leftover spice shake for other grilled recipes.) Serve over white Basmati rice, along with the dipping sauce and a grilled lime wedge.