For the Cake
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon butter flavored extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
For the Frosting
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- Green food coloring
- Red food coloring
- 2 1.5-ounce packages PEEPS® Red Velvet Flavored Marshmallows Dipped in Cream Flavored Fudge
OTHER SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED:
- Bundt pan (12 cup)
- Large (16-inch) plastic piping bag
- 2 smaller (12-inch) plastic piping bags
- Large flat icing tip
- Small round icing tip
- Leaf Icing tip (Optional)
- Additional PEEPS® Red Velvet Flavored Marshmallows Dipped in Cream Flavored Fudge, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, mixing at medium speed for about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the red food coloring, vanilla extract, butter flavored extract, buttermilk and sour cream. Mix again until combined.
- At a low speed, slowly add in the flour mixture until combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 45-50 or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then invert the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Be sure to cool completely before decorating.
To Make the Frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla extract and mix again.
- Slowly mix in the confectioner’s sugars and mix until well blended.
- Divide the frosting into two separate bowls – 1/3rd of the frosting into one bowl and 2/3rd of the frosting into the other bowl.
- Add red food coloring to the smaller amount of frosting, mixing well to a dark red.
- Add green food coloring to the larger amount of frosting, mixing well to create a darker leaf green color.
To Decorate the Cake:
- Fill the large piping bag with green frosting but do not put a tip on the bag. Squeeze the tip of the bag so that the frosting pushes back in the bag away from the tip. Then carefully cut each side of the tip of the bag so you are left with an open, V-shaped end. Pipe large leaves around the cake – leaving about 3-4 inches of the cake undecorated (you will decorate that space with a bow). To make the leaves, squeeze and pull the bag towards you and then slightly forward a few times to make ripples in the leaf shape (If you just pull as you squeeze, the leaf will look flat). Then pull to a point and disconnect the tip from the leaf. If the tip of the leaf is not pointy enough, just pinch gently with your thumb and index finger.
- (Here is a link to a great tutorial video that shows you how to make these leaves. Alternately, you can use a special piping tip designed to create leaves.)
- Once you are done piping the leaves, place a small amount of the red frosting in a small piping bag fitted with a small round tip. Pipe small red berries at the base of each green leaf.
- Place the remaining red frosting in a small piping bag fitted with a large flat tip. Pipe the red bow onto the cake in the open spot without the green leaves.
- Evenly place 6 PEEPS® Red Velvet Flavored Marshmallows Dipped in Cream Flavored Fudge around the top of the cake, using a dollop of leftover frosting to secure the bottom PEEPS onto the cake.
- Decorate the serving plate with additional PEEPS® Red Velvet Flavored Marshmallows Dipped in Cream Flavored Fudge if desired.