This recipe lists red pepper in the ingredient list which is optional. Emily (Mozelle’s daughter) doesn’t remember her adding it to the sauce, but it was included in the recipe given to Sean.
- ½ cup onion, diced very fine
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons yellow mustard (or a mix of yellow and Dijon mustard)
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter (half a stick)
- 2 teaspoons any red pepper hot sauce (optional and I left it out)
- In a medium sauce pan, place and mix all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer 15 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from heat and let cool.