- 1 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Shortening to grease the loaf pan
- Flour to coat the loaf pan
- In a large bowl, mix Grape-Nuts cereal, buttermilk and raisins and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After 15 minutes, add baking soda to grape nut mixture and stir.
- In a medium bowl, sift sugar, flour and baking powder and stir into grape nut mixture. Use a wooden spoon for this, the dough is very dense and sticky.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan and place dough into pan, pushing to edges.
- Place in center of oven and set timer for 50 minutes. If it is browning too quickly, cover with foil and continue baking for 10 more minutes. Test loaf by inserting a tooth pick in center to see if it pulls out clean and tap the bread to see if has a hollow sound. If not quite there, bake for another five to ten additional minutes.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes then remove to a cooling rack.