Adapted from Bon Appetit
For the Sauce
- 1 red or green Thai chile, cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled grated
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (or sunflower butter)
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (optional, leave out to be Whole30 compliant)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- ¼ cup water (or more as needed)
- Kosher salt
For the Salad
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ head of Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 golden beet, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 3 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced crosswise on a diagonal
- 1 large handful of bean sprouts (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup torn mint leaves
- Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted, toasted peanuts, crushed (omit if you want to stay Whole30 compliant)
- 4 cups warm cooked brown rice (serve this salad without the rice if you want to stay Whole30 compliant)
- Start the brown rice and while it is cooking, prepare the rest of the dish.
To Prepare the Sauce
- In a blender, add chile, garlic, peanut butter, coconut milk, brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce and fish sauce. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a small saucepan and whisk in ¼ cup of water. If you are serving the salad immediately, warm the sauce over medium heat, whisking often until smooth and warmed through. (Be careful not to over-heat.) Season sauce with a pinch of salt and set aside while you prepare your salad. If you are serving the salad at a later time, the sauce can be refrigerated, then warmed when you are ready to serve.
To Prepare the Salad
- Cook eggs in a separate saucepan – be sure to follow our Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs tutorial here for best results. (If you’d like softer cooked eggs, remove from the hot water after 7 minutes.) Drain, cool in cold water, peel eggs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, scallions, beets, celery, cucumber, bean sprouts, cilantro and mint. Toss to combine. If you are serving the salad immediately, season with salt and top with crushed peanuts. If you are waiting to serve the salad, season with salt and top with crushed peanuts just before serving.
To Serve Salad
- Warm the sauce if necessary. Slice each egg in half. Fill each serving bowl with warm rice, salad and a hard boiled egg. Drizzle the warm peanut sauce over the salad. Serve with additional peanut sauce on the side.