If you prefer your soup with lots of broth, use only one bag of Success Jasmine Rice. If you like thicker and heartier soup, use two bags. (For our recipe, we used two bags.) Note that the cooked rice will absorb some of the broth once combined so if you reheat any leftovers the next day, more chicken stock or cream may be needed to thin the soup.
- 1 two-pound rotisserie chicken
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 quart low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt as needed
- 2 bags Success Jasmine Rice, see note
- Remove the meat from the rotisserie chicken and dice into bite sized pieces. (One two-pound cooked rotisserie chicken will yield about one pound of usable meat, equivalent to about three cups of diced cooked chicken.)
- In a medium pot over medium high heat, melt butter and add carrots, onion, celery, parsley, pepper, thyme and garlic powder. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium and add flour. Stir and cook for three more minutes.
- Add stock and stir with wooden spoon until combined. Add cooked chicken and stir. Reduce temperature to low.
- Bring a medium pan of water to a boil and place two bags of Success rice into water and follow directions on box (or follow microwave directions on box).
- When rice is almost done, heat soup back up and add peas and cream and stir. Taste and only add salt if needed. Depending on the brand of stock you buy, salt may not be needed.
- Once rice is done, follow box directions to remove and drain and add rice to soup.
- Stir and serve.
Keywords: creamy chicken & rice soup