For a slightly thinner consistency, use ½ cup of flour instead of the ¾ cup noted in the recipe. Also, feel free to use 1 quart of half & half instead of the cream and milk.
- 1 quart of turkey or chicken stock
- 2 pounds cooked turkey or chicken meat
- 2 cups heavy cream (see note above)
- 2 cups whole milk (see note above)
- 1 stick butter
- ½ pound onion sliced into thick half moons (about one medium to large onion)
- ¾ cup flour (see note)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated McCormick Gourmet Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Dry Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick Gourmet White Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Curry Powder
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- Unsliced white or hearty country bread
- The stock needs to reduce down from one quart to three cups so place on stove and simmer until reduced.
- If you have part of a turkey leftover and are using the meat from that for this recipe, place the whole carcass in with the stock. It will help soften the meat so you can remove it from the bone. This step is only an option if you don’t already have the two pounds of cooked turkey or chicken and are picking meat from a turkey or chicken.
- Once the stock has reduced, add milk and cream and heat just until hot. Keep warm over low heat.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium and add onions. Cook until translucent and no longer crunchy.
- Add flour and cook for three minutes.
- Add stock and cream mixture one third at a time to the skillet, stirring each time with a wire whip.
- Once all of the liquid is in, add salt, nutmeg, mustard, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and curry powder.
- Cook over low heat for a few minutes and add cooked turkey or chicken shredding as you add.
- Bring up to hot but be careful not to scorch.
- Add frozen peas, stir and hold over low heat while you slice and toast the bread.
- Slice bread into thick slices and lightly toast.
- To serve, place single slices of toast on dinner plates and top with a generous portion of the creamed chicken.
- Great served with steamed carrots.