Note: Prep and Cook times listed do not include time to make our homemade turkey stock.
- ½ cup butter (one stick)
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup leeks, diced (white part only and cleaned of all sand)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup new red potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry sage
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 5 cups turkey stock (see our homemade recipe here)
- 4 cups cooked turkey meat, diced
- ¼ cup half and half or light cream
- In a large pot, melt butter and add onions, leeks, celery, carrots and potatoes. Sauté vegetables over medium high heat for five to ten minutes or until almost tender.
- Reduce to medium and add flour, salt, pepper, sage and thyme. Cook for five minutes stirring with a wooden spoon and being careful that the mixture does not stick.
- Add vermouth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and soft.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth.
- Add turkey and heat to hot. Add cream and serve.