Here is a tip we learned from a cranberry bog owner: The darker the cranberries, the more tart they are. The lighter or whiter colored cranberries are not tart however still can be used. They taste the same however are milder in flavor.
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
- ½ to ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Zest the orange and place the zest in a food processor.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pith from the rest of the zested orange and discard.
- Cut the remaining peeled orange into quarters, pick out and discard any seeds and place the orange in the food processor with the zest.
- Add the bag of fresh cranberries and ½ cup of the sugar and pulse to a coarse consistency.
- Taste and add more sugar if you want the relish sweeter. We only used the ½ cup.
- This relish can be refrigerated for up to a week and can be used in a variety of dishes, including our Myles Standish Sandwich.