For the marinated chicken
- ¾ cup of Caesar Cardini’s Dressing, original flavor
- ¾ cup Ken’s Steak House Lite Caesar Dressing & Marinade
Note: Both dressings together should be 1½ cups, or more to coat chicken
- 2 chicken breast halves
For the croutons
- 1 baguette cut into 1” cubes (or for a different flavor crouton, 1 loaf of unsliced marble – rye and pumpernickel – bread)
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
For the salad:
To Marinate the Chicken:
- Trim any visible fat from the chicken.
- Note: Chicken breasts cook better if they are the same thickness all the way through. We slightly butterfly the breasts by opening up the thickest part and folding it open. The finished breast should be all one piece roughly the same thickness. This step is optional however it assures even cooking.
- In a large plastic zip lock bag, place chicken breasts and the cup and a half of the dressings. Zip the bag and with your hands, work the dressing into all sides of the breasts.
- Place the bag in the refrigerator and marinate for at least four hours or overnight.
To Prepare the Croutons*:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place diced baguette (or marble bread if you prefer) in a large bowl and toss with melted butter, garlic powder, paprika and parsley flakes until well coated.
- Pour coated croutons onto a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Cool completely and store in a zip lock bag until ready to use.
To Grill the Chicken:
- Heat a ribbed grill pan on your stovetop or heat an outdoor grill (preferred) until very hot.
- Remove chicken from the marinade (discard the marinade – do not use for dressing the salad) and grill 3-5 minutes on both sides. If they are not done, move to a cooler part of the grill so they don’t burn, or turn flame down if you are using your stove top, and continue to cook until done.
- Helpful hint: Use the poke test to test for doneness: Poke in thickest part of the breast with your finger. If it bounces back it is done.
- Cover chicken loosely with foil and let rest for five minutes.
To Prepare the Salad:
- In a large bowl, toss romaine leaves with 2-3 tablespoons of the mixed dressings, croutons and the grated Parmesan.
- Cut rested chicken into one inch strips, cutting on the bias to get wide, meaty slices.
- Place romaine mixture in a serving bowl or plate and lay sliced chicken over top and serve.
- Helpful hint: Shredding or shaving additional Parmesan cheese over the top of the salad before serving makes for a nice presentation.
*Note: This recipe makes enough croutons for several servings. Any leftovers will store well at room temperature for later use – not to mention they are delicious to munch on!
Keywords: Caesar salad, grilled chicken