- 1 pound broccoli rabe, ends trimmed off and discarded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion sliced thick vertically
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Lemon zest from half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring a medium pan of water to a boil and add trimmed broccoli rabe.
- Cook 2 minutes, remove broccoli and plunge into ice water bath. Once cooled, drain the broccoli rabe.
- In a 12” skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and heat until hot and add onions. Sauté onions 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook one more minute.
- Add lemon zest, drained broccoli rabe, salt and pepper and cook just until broccoli is tender (1-2 minutes).
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and serve immediately.