Note: The easiest way to crush the Ritz Crackers is to leave them in the sleeve and crush in place, being careful that the bottom does not open. Once crushed, just open one end and pour out.
- 1 pound cod or haddock (try to get thick filets also called Captain’s cut)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 2 ounces crimini or porcini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 ounces fresh spinach
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Zest from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, 30 crackers, crushed. See note above.
- 5.2 ounce package Boursin cheese flavored with herbs and garlic, our see here for our recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a small pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Lay fish in center. If using a piece with the tail, fold tail under so the fish is even thickness.
- In a medium pan, melt butter in olive oil over medium heat and add onions and cook for three minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for three more minutes. Add spinach and cook one minute or until spinach is wilted.
- Pour this mixture into a medium bowl and add lemon juice, lemon zest, milk, pepper and crushed Ritz. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Spread the Boursin cheese over the fish evenly. Spread the stuffing loosely over the cheese pushing back up any stuffing that falls off.
- Cover with parchment and foil and bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and parchment and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Great served with white rice.