For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 sleeves of saltine crackers (about 60 crackers)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter (we found that 7 tablespoons of butter was the perfect amount to hold the crumbs together)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
For the Filling:
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice or a mix of the two (we love a mix of the two juices best)
- Fresh whipped cream (about 1 cup heavy cream, whipped)
- Coarse sea salt, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Crush the crackers finely, but not to dust. You can use a food processor or your hands. (We used our hands to ensure that we didn’t over process the crackers.) Add the sugar, then knead in the butter until the crumbs hold together like dough. Press into an 8 inch pie pan. Chill for 15 minutes, then bake for 18 minutes or until the crust colors a little.
- While the crust is cooling (it doesn’t need to be cold), beat the egg yolks into the milk, then beat in the citrus juice. It is important to completely combine these ingredients. Pour into the shell and bake for 16 minutes until the filling has set.
- Chill completely before serving. Serve with fresh whipped cream (we used a piping bag to top the pie with whipped cream but you can also simply spoon it on top) and (optional) a sprinkling of sea salt.