- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (two breast halves)
For the Poaching Liquid
- 2 quarts of water
- Small bunch of cilantro
- 2 whole scallions cut in fourths
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1 star anise
For Assembling the Salad
- 2 packages of Ramen noodles (noodles only, season packet discarded)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large or two medium scallions sliced on the bias (tops and bottoms)
- ¼ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- A few thin slices red onion
- 1 whole orange or red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- Everyday Asian Dressing (see recipe here)
- Trim the breasts of any fat and then run the knife horizontally on each breast butterflying them so the thickness is consistent throughout each piece.
- In a medium pan with a cover, place water, cilantro, scallions, peppercorns and star anise and bring to a boil. Boil covered for two minutes.
- Place the two breasts into the boiling liquid and cover. Keep the flame on until the water just starts to bubble, then shut off flame. Set the timer for five minutes.
- After five minutes remove the chicken to a cutting board and discard blanching liquid. Once cool shred with your fingers, pulling the meat apart into shreds. Set aside.
- Cook Ramen noodles according to package directions but discard flavor packet.
- Drain noodles then rinse under cold water. Drain again, place in a medium bowl and toss with salt.
- Add cooked shredded chicken, scallions, cilantro, red onion and orange bell pepper and toss again.
- Pour our Everyday Asian Dressing over noodles and toss one last time. Serve immediately.