- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons jarred Hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced candied ginger
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- ½ teaspoon 5-spice powder
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons liquid red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place all ingredients except the corn starch and water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- in a separate bowl, mix the corn starch and water to form a slurry and slowly add to the hot liquid while whisking.
- Reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate until needed for ribs, chicken or any other meats.