- 1 quart whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium sauce pan, heat milk to scalding but not boiling.
- In a larger pan melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour to form a roux. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes until it turns slightly tan and picks up a nutty smell.
- Add hot milk one third at a time whipping quickly during each addition. Cook for 30 seconds before adding the second and third addition of the hot milk.
- Add seasoning and cook for five minutes over medium whipping often. The final consistency will be creamy and slightly thick.