- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- Candy sprinkles, colored decorator sugars, or frosting (for decoration)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, sugar, egg, salt and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until creamy (about 2-3 minutes), scraping sides of bowl as necessary to make sure that all ingredients are combined.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour slowly (about ½ a cup at a time). Beat until well mixed (about 1-2 additional minutes).
- Chill dough for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place dough into a cookie press and form the dough into desired shapes about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. (Decorate with colored sugar before baking if desired, or you can wait to decorate until after the cookies have been baked.)
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until edges of cookie are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for several minutes on the cookie sheet. When the cookies are firm enough to remove with a spatula, cool on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- Decorate the cookies more if desired.