Note: Chopped chives totally finish this dish. Try not to omit.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters (about one pound total)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled (1½ ounces total)
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 medium to large peeled Russet potato for garnish (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Crème Fraiche for garnish (sour cream can be substituted)
- Chives chopped for garnish, see note above
- Fried waffle style potatoes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan place potatoes, onion, garlic, butter and pepper. Place pan in oven and set timer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, use a heavy spatula and turn potatoes. Roast for 15 more minutes. Turn again and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes being careful that nothing burns or sticks to bottom. Add a little more butter if needed towards the end. The potatoes should be tender and the onion not quite tender.
- While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the potato for garnish by cutting thin waffle slices using a mandolin. Fry in 375 degree vegetable oil and set aside to drain. This step is optional.
- Remove the pan from the oven and pour in some of the broth to deglaze the pan. Using the heavy spatula scrape everything from the bottom.
- Pour entire contents of pan into a large pot along with remaining broth, water, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary. Cover and bring to a boil then simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove and discard rosemary.
- With an emersion blender, puree mixture until completely smooth. At this point, if the soup is thick and creamy, cook no further. If it is still a bit loose, simmer for up to 15 minutes until the mixture is very thick. Ours was perfect without the additional cooking time.
- Add cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place soup in bowl and top with a dollop of Crème Fraiche. Then sprinkle the chopped chives and finish with a few cooked waffle cut fried potatoes.