- ½ cup dry orzo (feel free to use gluten-free orzo – DeLallo brand is very good)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup scallions diced, tops and bottoms
- ½ cup carrots, diced small
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup quinoa (we recommend Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium-sized pan with a tight-fitting lid, brown orzo in dry pan over medium heat. After about five minutes, or until pasta is browned, remove pasta to a dish and hold.
- Over medium high heat, melt butter in oil and add scallions, carrots and browned orzo. Cook for two minutes and add garlic, quinoa, stock, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a low simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove from heat but leave covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in chopped parsley and serve.