- 1½ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
- Zest from one naval orange (use a fine zester like this oneone !important; margin:0px !important;” />)
- Heat one half cup of water with one half cup sugar just long enough to dissolve sugar into water. Remove from heat and add cranberries. Stir to coat.
- Place a rack with small holes over sheet pan and with a slotted spoon, scoop out berries and set on rack in single layer. Discard water. Let them sit for one hour at room temperature.
- While the berries are drying, add orange zest to remaining one cup of sugar and blend in a small food processor until completely combined. The sugar will turn slightly orange. Pour this into a pie plate or bowl.
- Take handfuls of the now sticky berries and dredge in orange sugar to combine and transfer to a parchment lined pan.
- Let coated cranberries sit for one hour before eating or using to top your favorite desert. Discard any leftover sugar.