If you can’t find chocolate malted powder (such as Ovaltine – found in the hot chocolate section at the supermarket), mix half regular malted powder with and half unsweetened cocoa.
- 3 ounces Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate squares
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons chocolate Ovaltine (or other chocolate malted powder), see note
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup tap water
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, cooled
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons chocolate Ovaltine
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder or instant espresso
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup semi sweet morsels
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- White pearl sugar (or other nonpareils) for the topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 18×13-inch sheet pan with pan spray and lay a piece of parchment over the spray then spray the top of the parchment. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate squares with the butter for about 30 seconds. Stir to melt the two together. If the chocolate hasn’t completely melted yet, microwave for a few more seconds.
- Once melted and combined, whip in the sugar and Ovaltine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat eggs until pale in color, about two minutes.
- Add one quarter cup of the flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine.
- Beat in the chocolate and sugar mixture.
- Add the brewed coffee to the water and with the mixer running on low, alternate adding the liquid and the remaining flour and beat to form a creamy batter. Scrape the bowl and beat again.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Run a knife along all four edges to loosen.
- Place powdered sugar in a small sifter and sift over the entire top of the cake.
- Place a piece of parchment over a cookie sheet (no lip), and invert over top of cake. Then with pot holders flip the cake over. Take off the sheet pan and peel off the parchment that it was baked in.
- Now while still warm, gently roll the cake into a roll by starting at a short side and rolling towards the other short side. The parchment should be rolled up with the cake. The purpose of this exercise is so that it cools in a curled shape.
- Make the filling by whipping all of the ingredients until creamy.
- After the cake cools, unroll it and spread the filling to the edges and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Grab the parchment under the short side and begin to roll the cake onto itself as you peel the parchment off.
- Discard the parchment and move the cake to a shhet tray covered in another piece of parchment.
- Make the ganache by placing the chocolate morsels and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir and then 10 more seconds. The chocolate should be melting into the cream as you stir. If not fully melted, microwave for five seconds at a time until melted.
- Stir in the cold milk.
- Pour this chocolate mixture down the center of the cake. Coaxing the ganache down the sides and ends.
- While still wet, sprinkle on the pearl sugar.
- With large long spatulas inserted under each end, life the cake up and place on an oval or rectangle serving platter.
- The finished cake needs to be refrigerated if not served right away.
- When ready to serve, slice thick slices off from one end to the other and serve.