For the bottom crust
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
For the middle layer
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flaked, sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup chocolate malted milk powder (such as Ovaltine), divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant espresso powder, or instant coffee crystals
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the frosting
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons chocolate malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13×9-inch baking dish or pan and set aside.
To make the bottom crust
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the softened butter, brown sugar, and flour and mix until smooth and crumbly.
- Pour the crumbs into the prepared baking dish, and evenly press the mixture into the bottom of the pan to create a crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until set.
To make the middle layer
- While the bottom crust is baking, in a medium bowl, mix the beaten eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla together until completely combined. Stir in the coconut, malted milk powder, flour, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt and again, mix until completely combined.
- Once the bottom crust is baked, spread the middle layer mixture evenly over to top of the baked layer. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the frosting
- Once the baked pan is completely cool, prepare the frosting as follows:
- In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, malted milk powder, vanilla, espresso powder and 1 ½ tablespoons of boiling water and stir until completely blended. Add small amounts of additional boiling water as needed until the icing is a spreadable consistency. Spread the icing evenly over the cooled bars.
- Allow the icing to set completely (1-2 hours) and then cut into individual bars.