- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups Israeli (pearl) couscous
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- Juice from 1 large lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 4 scallions, finely sliced including both white and green parts
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups shredded and chopped cooked chicken (rotisserie cooked or other cooking method)
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Pour in the couscous and stirring frequently, cook until lightly toasted (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the chicken broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer about 8 minutes – until the couscous is al dente. (Note: You should have some of the cooking liquid remaining after the 8 minutes – you will use this for the sauce.)
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, scallions, peas and chicken and mix until well combined. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese grated on top if desired.