- 2 pounds russet potatoes (approximately 3 potatoes)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 whole eggs
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large pot, boil whole skin on potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove potatoes to drain and dry for at least 10 minutes.
- When they are cool enough to peel, peel the skin off. (Should peel right off without the need for a knife).
- Note: They will not be fully cooked through.
- Using a box grater, grate potatoes on large shred into a medium bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and eggs and gently stir to combine. The mixture will be very wet and soft.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees to hold cooked puffs as you make each batch. Line a small sheet tray with paper towels.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed pan with about two to three inches of oil.
- Place the panko in a wide open bowl.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees using a candy thermometer to hold the temperature.
- One at a time, spoon a heaping tablespoon into your hand and shape into a barrel. Gently set into panko, roll and drop in hot oil. Cook only about six at a time to maintain the oil temperature.
- Once golden, remove to prepared pan and keep pan in oven between batches. Once you get your rhythm, the whole process should only be about 20 minutes.