For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Few grinds fresh black pepper
- ¼ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- ½ cup pine nuts (walnuts or pecans may also be substituted)
- 3 large romaine hearts, brown core end sliced off and hearts cut in half the long way.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ripe but firm pears, cores removed; cut into 6 or 8 wedges (We used Bartlett pears)
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- In a small bowl, place vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper and while whipping, slowly add oil to emulsify. Set aside.
- In a small dry sauté pan over medium heat, toast pine nuts and set aside.
- Heat a ribbed pan over medium high.
- Toss the pears with one tablespoon of the oil and grill for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- With the pan still on medium high, drizzle the remaining oil over cut sides of romaine and grill three halves for about 2 minutes, cut side only. Remove to a platter and grill remaining three halves and add to platter.
- Top with pears and dressing. Then sprinkle cheese and pine nuts over top and serve.