You can swap the butter in this recipe for oil and agave nectar for the honey if desired, however the finished bars will be softer and more crumbly.
- 3 cups Great Grains cereal (we used the Raisins, Date & Pecans flavor)
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup mission figs (or other dried fruit of your choice)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Line a 9X9 pan with plastic wrap and spray with nonstick pan spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place great grains cereal and wheat germ. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process figs until roughly pureed (still a little chunky). Add to cereal and toss to completely disperse figs into cereal mixture.
- In a small sauce pan, heat honey, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Pour into cereal mixture and quickly mix to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down firmly with a strong spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate for two or more hours to set up.
- Cut down the center then either five or six strips the other way to make 10 or 12 bars. Keep refrigerated.