For the cookie
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 8 tablespoons butter, 1 stick, softened
- 2 whole eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced fine
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup dry cherries chopped
- ½ cup boiling water
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, minced fine
- 2½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line four sheet trays with parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add both sugars, shortening and butter and cream on medium for two minutes.
- With mixer running on low, add one egg at a time then increase speed to mix eggs into batter.
- Scrape bowl and add the molasses and the crystallized ginger. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda and cinnamon and slowly add to the mixture a little at a time with speed on medium.
- Beat batter just long enough to mix out any lumps.
- Place 12 on each of four pans using a small one ounce scoop 3X4 and bake two pans at a time, rotating racks halfway through. Bake for about 10 minutes total. They will puff up and be darker than the raw batter and will deflate as they cool.
- Let each pan set for five minutes then remove each cookie to a cooling rack with a spatula. Cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, make filling.
- Place cherries in a small bowl and cover with a half cup of boiling water. Set aside.
- In the stand mixer with paddle attachment, place mascarpone, butter, vanilla and ginger. Mix to combine fully.
- Drain ¼ cup of water and discard. Take the remaining water and cherries and add to mascarpone mixture and beat to combine.
- Slowly add powdered sugar with mixer on low until it is all in and beat to mix. If it is a bit loose, add a little more powdered sugar to thicken.
- Once cookies are cool, lay out 24 top down. Divide the filling between the 24 then top each with another cookie.
- Wrap and refrigerate one hour until the filling is firm. Serve chilled.