- 1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) softened butter
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ¾ cup walnuts chopped
- 8 ounce package dried Black Mission figs and roughly cut up into pieces, stems removed and discarded
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix butter, flour and brown sugar to form a dough. Press evenly into a 9X13 glass baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes and remove and cool completely. (I placed mine in the refrigerator to speed cooling).
- To make the filling, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Once the crust has cooled, spread the filling over the crust evenly to the edges and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool. It puffs up a bit then settles down as it cools. Cut into 24 squares and serve.
If you refrigerate the pan before removing the squares, the crust will stick to the bottom of the pan. Just bring the Fig Bar Cookies back to room temperature before removing with a spatula.