Shortening, for greasing the pan
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple in natural juice, undrained
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup flaked coconut (sweetened)
For the icing
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with the shortening. Set aside.
- In a very large mixing bowl, with a wooden spoon, stir together flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, pineapple and juices, walnuts and coconut. (Do not use an electric mixer.) Stir until completely combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan, then bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove baking pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- While the cake is cooling, mix softened cream cheese and butter together with a mixer until well blended.
- Gradually add confectioner’s sugar, milk and vanilla mixing until well blended.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the icing on the cake while it is still warm. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the top of the icing.
- Cool cake completely, then refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.