A delicious and creamy pasta with chicken, mushrooms, parmesan, cream and herbs.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ pound bacon chopped (about 8 slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms (baby bella or button)
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup dry sherry
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 teaspoons fresh chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound fettuccini
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped to garnish dish
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, combine 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter until melted and frothy.
- Working in two batches, add in chicken and brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per batch. Do not over cook. Remove chicken to a flat plate to cool and stop the cooking process.
- Place the bacon in the same pan and cook until it is crisp. Remove to paper towels and reserve.
- Drain off all bacon fat but reserve two tablespoons, half of which gets used in next step.
- Put one tablespoon of bacon fat and one tablespoon of butter in the same pan and sauté mushrooms for 2-3 minutes or until they just start to give up their liquid. Remove from pan and set aside along with all of the pan drippings.
- Add the second tablespoon of bacon fat and butter into the pan and sauté onions and garlic until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and their liquid back into the pan with the onions, add the sherry and cook for one minute scraping any bits from the bottom.
- Add in cream, sour cream, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, parsley and parmesan cheese. As mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium and simmer 2 more minutes. The mixture will begin to thicken. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook fettuccini according to package directions. When draining reserve one cup of pasta water.
- Add cooked chicken and bacon back to sauce, turn heat to low to medium heat and stir.
- Add cooked fettuccini and cook for 1-2 minutes to blend flavors. If the dish is too thick, add a little pasta water until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve with fresh parsley sprinkled over individual servings.