- 1 medium Vidalia onion
- 1 medium Spanish onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1–2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Potato Chips for serving
- 1 small to medium shallot (optional)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- Peel onions and slice into medium strips vertically.
- Place onion slices in a large skillet along with the olive oil and sauté on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until onions are well caramelized (30-40 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour caramelized onions into a food processor and pulse a few times to chop the onions into a chunky texture. Pour chopped onion mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce into the mixing bowl with the onions. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chill onion dip mixture for several hours before serving. Serve with your favorite potato chips.
Optional Crispy Shallot Garnish:
- If desired, make a crispy shallot garnish as follows: Peel and slice a shallot into thin, small rings. Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium low heat. Sauté shallot slices – stirring frequently and reducing heat if needed – until shallots are golden and crispy.
- Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel to remove any excess oil and cool. Sprinkle shallots on top of the prepared Caramelized Onion Dip before serving.