For preparing the squash
- 3 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into one inch dice (approximately 1 large squash)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
For preparing the Arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock (or more if needed)
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Prepare the Squash:
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the 1 tablespoon each of butter and olive oil. Add the cubed squash and salt and sauté 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. Once the squash is slightly browned and tender, add the chopped sage and sauté for one more minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
To Prepare the Rice:
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil together over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the Arborio rice, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes until the rice is just starting to turn lightly golden.
- Quickly pour in the white wine and allow the liquid to boil and be absorbed into the rice. Then pour in ¼ cup of chicken stock to the rice, stirring constantly. (If necessary, adjust the heat under the pot – you want a medium simmer.) Add more stock ¼ cup at a time – adding more just as most but not all of the liquid is absorbed before adding in more stock.
- Cook the rice and stock together in this manner for approximately 25 minutes or so – until the rice is tender but not mushy. Turn the heat off when there is still some liquid remaining in the rice and stir in the parmesan cheese and cooked squash and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine completely.