- 3 pounds chopped veal or beef bones (or a combination), plus any leftover scraps including fat and gristle
- 1 boiling foul including giblets
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large leek, green top removed, cleaned of sand and cut up
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- Green leafy ends cut from the tops of the head of celery
- 3 good sized stalks of parsley including stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 good sized sprig of thyme
- 1 large tomato cut in half and seeded
- 1 large clove garlic peeled and smashed
- 4 black whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Put everything into a large stock pot and cover with water. Slowly bring to a boil, skimming off any scum that floats to the top. Lower heat to a really low simmer and cook for four hours uncovered.
- Once done, strain and cool, discarding solids. When completely cool, remove fat and discard. Use immediately or freeze in zipper seal bags. Reboil when ready to use.