- 1 pound fresh tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (feel free to use more if you like it spicier)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 7-inch flour tortillas
- Lettuce, shredded
- Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
- Pickled red onions, sliced
- Lay out tilapia filets and pat both sides dry with paper towels.
- Mix the chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl and sprinkle over both sides of the fish.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high heat and add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the fish and cook 2-3 minutes on each side using a fish turner to flip. The fish should be blackened on the outside and soft and flaky in the center.
- Remove to a platter and with two forks, flake into bite sized pieces.
- While the fish is cooking, place all sauce ingredients in a small food processor and puree until smooth.
- To assemble, line a flour tortilla with a little sauce, then lettuce, pieces of fish, cheese and pickled red onion. Serve with additional hot sauce.