- 1/3 cup dry uncooked short grain brown rice
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup carrots sliced very thin
- 1 cup snow peas
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce (see recipe here) or your favorite bottled teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil divided
- 6 ounces sirloin tip steak sliced thinly against the grain into strips (or 6 ounces chicken breast sliced the same way)
- 2 scallions diced (whites and greens separate)
- Small pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 medium mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces mixed sweet bell peppers (red, yellow and/or orange) cut into strips
- In a medium pan over high heat, bring water and rice to a boil. Cover with tight fitting lid, lower to a simmer and cook about 45 to 50 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Fluff and let rest 10 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, prep all other ingredients.
- Place a pan of water with a steaming basket over high heat and steam carrots and snow peas covered for one minute each. Set aside.
- Stir cornstarch into teriyaki sauce and set aside.
- When rice is just about cooked, begin cooking meat and vegetables. In a wok or heavy bottomed pan, over very high heat, place one teaspoon of oil and let it get smoking hot. Add half of the beef and brown on both sides (about one minute) and remove to a bowl. Bring pan back to smoking hot and add next teaspoon of oil and brown second half of meat, removing to same bowl. Let pan get smoking hot again, add third teaspoon of oil and place chopped white part of scallion. Stir once and add red pepper flakes, mushrooms and peppers. Toss and cook for about 3-4 minutes until slightly cooked but still a bit crunchy. Add steamed carrots, snow peas and cooked beef (or chicken). Stir, keeping heat on high. Stir teriyaki again and add to pan. Remove from heat and toss a few times.
- To serve, place ½ cup of brown rice onto each place and top each dish with half of beef mixture. Top with chopped green scallion tops and serve.
Keywords: Beef Teriyaki and Vegetables