- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 peeled and cored Gala apple, cut into ½ inch chunks (or any hard baking apple will also work)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
For the Glaze (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium pan melt butter and remove from heat. With a wooden spoon, stir in sugar to dissolve. Add vanilla and stir again.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Once the sugar mixture is cool, blend in the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Add the dry mix to the sugar mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the apples and nuts and stir.
- Butter an 8X8 pan and spread batter in evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- While the pan bakes, place glaze mixture in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil on medium and stir for one minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the pan comes out of the oven, let sit for five minutes then spread the glaze over the top. If the glaze tightened up while the pan baked, heat slightly to a spreadable consistency. The glaze should be the consistency of a soft jam or spread and not runny.
- With a sharp knife, cut rows 4 x 4 into 16 pieces.
- With a spatula, remove each piece to a platter and cool, or serve slightly warm.