This recipe is written assuming that you have made our Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry recipe and reserved a portion of the stir fried cabbage and beef for this calzone recipe. If you are only making this calzone recipe, please see notes at the bottom of this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the reserved cooked cabbage from the Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry and with the sweet and sour sauce and set aside. Dice the reserved beef from the Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry into small pieces and add to the cabbage. Stir in the cheese and mix.
- Cut the dough in half and roll out each 10-ounce dough ball into a 5X10 rectangle. Cut each rectangle into six even squares. (You will have 12 squares in total.)
- Top each square with a rounded tablespoon of the cabbage and beef mixture. Divide evenly between the 12 squares.
- Brush one half of dough edges lightly with milk. Lift opposite corner of each square and stretch to the other corner forming a triangle. Seal the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Arrange on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Prick tops with fork. Bush with milk and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until browned.
- Serve with additional sweet and sour sauce for dipping.
If you just want to make this Beef Calzone recipe and don’t have reserved cabbage or beef for the calzone filling, please follow this recipe:
To make the cabbage stir fry:
Mix 1 cup shredded green cabbage, 3/4 cup shredded Chinese cabbage, 1/4 cup shredded carrot and 1/4 cup scallions cut on the bias. Stir fry in a little peanut oil and set aside.
To make the beef stir fry for just this recipe:
Slice ¾ pound of sirloin into bite size strips and marinate in a mixture of 1/3 cup beef broth, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, ½ tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper for 30 minutes at room temperature.Remove beef from marinade and stir in 1 teaspoon corn starch to the marinade. Stir-fry the beef in a hot wok with a little bit peanut oil for 2-3 minutes. Add marinade-corn starch mixture and cook for 2 more minutes.
Weekday Triple Play adapted from [Better Homes and Gardens|