Note – This recipe is written so that you will set aside some of the beef and cabbage stir fry for Meal #2 in this series: Beef Calzones. However if you wish to make only this dish, feel free to omit the steps below where you are asked to set aside the cooked beef and cabbage.
- 1½ pounds boneless beef sirloin, trimmed of all fat
- 9 cups of cabbage blend recipe
- ¾ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- Thinly sliced scallion for garnish
- Freeze beef for 30 minutes.
- Prepare cabbage blend per recipe instructions. Measure out 9 cups of the cabbage blend for this stir fry.
- In a large bowl, mix beef broth, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds and pepper.
- After the beef has been in the freezer for 30 minutes, thinly slice against the grain into bite sized strips. Add beef strips to marinade. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or two hours refrigerated (stir occasionally).
- Drain meat but reserve marinade. Stir corn starch into marinade and set aside.
- In a large pan or wok, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat to medium high. Once wok is heated and oil is hot, add cabbage blend and stir fry for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Remove the cabbage from the wok and keep warm. Set aside one cup of the cooked cabbage for Meal #2: Beef Calzones. Reserved mixture should be refrigerated or it may be frozen.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the wok and heat until hot. Stir-fry the beef for 2-3 minutes. (If necessary, cook the beef in batches so it stir fries and doesn’t steam.) Set aside half of the cooked beef for Meal #2: Beef Calzones. Store with reserved cooked cabbage mixture in the refrigerator or it may be frozen as well.
- Give marinade a stir and add to cooked beef. Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly. Cook for an additional two minutes.
- To serve, arrange warm cabbage on serving platter and spoon beef mixture over cabbage. Sprinkle scallions over top and serve.
Weekday Triple Play adapted from [Better Homes and Gardens|