Note: Because the lamb and eggplant are already fully cooked and both just need to be heated, all other parts of this dish should be prepared first.
- 1 Cuisine Solutions Lamb Shank
- 1 Cuisine Solutions Eggplant Confit
- 1 baguette or mini artisan bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic peeled and cut in half
For the Goat Cheese Spread
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano minced
- 2 small or one medium garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Few grinds black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad (3 to 1 ratio of mixed greens and fresh mint)
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- In a microwave safe dish, place lamb shank and all liquid from pouch. Set aside and discard plastic pouch.
- Follow the same step for the eggplant using a second microwave safe dish. Note: You will only be using about half of the eggplant package. The remaining eggplant should be eaten at another meal as soon as possible.
- Slice the bread on the bias to produce elongated slices of bread. Brush with melted butter and place butter side down in a grill pan with ribs and heat just long enough to produce golden brown grill marks. Set these aside and have garlic standing by for later.
- In a small bowl mix all of the spread ingredients with a fork. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, place lemon juice and mustard.
- With a mortar and pestle, place fresh oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and pepper flakes and pulverize to a paste. Add this to the lemon juice mixture.
- Slowly add in the oil, whisking vigorously as you add. Set aside.
- Toss the greens with the fresh mint leaves and set aside. (Mix three parts greens with one part mint.)
- Place a piece of paper towel over lamb (to stop splattering) and microwave two minutes. Remove bone and shred with two forks. Set aside.
- Heat the eggplant for two to three minutes, also with a paper towel over top to catch splatters. Remove the eggplant pieces to your cutting board and cut into thick strips as long as the bread slices you prepared.
- To serve, place the grilled bread slices in the toaster and just toast to slightly crispy. As soon as they come out, rub the grill marked top with the garlic half.
- Spread the goat cheese over each.
- Lay eggplant slices over goat cheese.
- Spoon some of the tomato confit (from the eggplant) over the top.
- Top with the shredded lamb and sprinkle some additional chopped mint or oregano over each.
- Toss the salad with the appropriate amount of dressing and serve on small dishes with the crostini.
- This recipe makes 8-10 crostini’s which should be enough for 4-6 people for a lunch or brunch or a starting course to an elegant meal.