Years ago when I was still single, I often hung out with my friend Jane and her husband Dave. We’d take turns inviting each other over for dinner, and Dave was always impressed because there I was – all alone out on the small deck of my apartment with my trusty Weber charcoal grill – cooking up some seriously good food!
Dave was (and still is) a pretty competitive guy, so these grilled dinners began to turn into a bit of a competition, and we were having so much fun that our other friends Barb and Jamie wanted in too. I ended up ‘competing’ against two guys with bragging rights up for grabs!
The night that I grilled these Pork and Apple Skewers with Orange Balsamic Glaze was the night that everyone declared me the official winner of our grill-off that summer. Pork and apples together are such a terrific food pairing – and when they become tender and caramelized on the grill as they do in this recipe – the flavors are even better!
But – what puts these pork and apple skewers over the top is the orange balsamic glaze that gets brushed on at the end, just before you take them off the grill. It’s a super flavorful sauce made from a reduction of orange juice and balsamic vinegar, plus a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper that adds the perfect amount of heat and spice to the dish.
At the end of that summer, I shared my ‘secret recipes’ with Dave and many of them came from this cookbook, License to Grill: Achieve Greatness At The Grill With 200 Sizzling Recipes, by famous Boston-area chef, Chris Schlesinger, from which this recipe is adapted. Happy Grilling!Print
Pork and Apple Skewers With Orange Balsamic Glaze
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings
For the Orange Balsamic Glaze
- 2 cups orange juice
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
For the Skewers
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, silver skin removed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 granny smith apples cored, skin left on and cut into 8 wedges each
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To make the Orange Balsamic Glaze
- In a small sauce pan, heat orange juice, vinegar, salt and two tablespoons of the black pepper. Note: this glaze is very strong and peppery so if you wish, cut the pepper by half. Bring to a boil and put on a fast simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce has been reduced by half.
To make the Skewers
- If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for an hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine pork cubes, apple wedges, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix to coat.
- Alternately thread the pork and apples onto the skewers and grill over a medium hot grill for 5-7 minutes turning often. You want the pork to be pink but not raw and the apples to still have a bit of crunch.
- During the last minute of cooking, brush with the glaze but be careful not to burn.
- To serve, brush the skewers with extra glaze and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: