Some of the most popular recipes on our site over the last year have been our Mexican-inspired recipes and we’ve covered a lot of the basics: a great homemade hot sauce that we affectionately call ‘Rocket Fuel’, as well as our own versions of salsa, guacamole, enchilada sauce and queso. So our latest addition to the roster of Mexican recipe basics is this Pico de Gallo!
Pico de gallo is also sometimes called ‘salsa fresca’ and it is a fresh, uncooked condiment typically made by combining chopped tomatoes, white onions and jalapeños or other chili peppers.
Our pico de gallo is simply seasoned with fresh cilantro and lime juice as well as other seasonings! The clean, simple flavors add a wonderful freshness to any Mexican dish – like our fish tacos recipe!Print
Pico de Gallo
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 cups
- 5 skin-on Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions diced (both green and white parts)
- ½ cup diced sweet onion such as Vidalia
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate in a covered container and let sit for one hour to allow flavors to blend.
You may also like: