Are you on Pinterest? If so – then I’m sure that you’ve had those moments, like I do, when you see a photo from a recipe and think – why didn’t I think of that? So that was the case when I originally spotted this pin – and we immediately set out to create our own recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers!
I love dishes like this that are a fun twist on classic recipes. In this case – Philly cheesesteak meets stuffed peppers – and the combination is a real winner!
First, we lightly blanched green pepper halves until tender, and then lined the bottom with an easy cheese sauce made from shredded cheddar cheese and cream. Next we loaded the pepper up with sautéed slices of shaved steak, onions, mushrooms, plus some additional red pepper strips (just for a bit of color)! Finally, we topped the Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers with slices of provolone cheese, then baked the whole thing in the oven until the provolone melted!
These Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers are a delicious option for hot lunch or a quick family dinner!
Recipe inspired by Peace + Love + Low Carb
- 2 extra-large green bell peppers about 12 ounces each
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces onion sliced into large slices (cut peeled and trimmed onion in half from top to bottom, lay half on side and make thick slices from one side to the other)
- 8 ounces sweet red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 6 ounces button mushroom sliced
- 1 ½ pounds shaved steak, see note
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Fill a medium to large pot of water and bring to a boil. While water is heating, cut the two green bell peppers in half vertically and clean out seeds and stem. Once water has boiled, place the four halves into the water and boil for just four minutes, no longer. Remove from water with tongs and cool at room temperature on a paper towel, cut side down, while you prepare the filling. Discard water.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, heat cream and cheese just until cheese melts into cream. Stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium high and add onions. Cook for two minutes and add red pepper and mushrooms and lower heat to medium. Cook stirring often until the vegetables are cooked and starting to caramelize, about four more minutes. Remove vegetables to a bowl.
- Heat pan back to medium high and add the last tablespoon of oil. Add steak and toss and cook until no pink remains. Try not to crowd the pan too much and cook in two batches if necessary so the meat browns and doesn’t steam. Add vegetables back in and toss for a minute over heat then remove.
- In a small baking pan, place four pepper halves cut side up and divided the cheese sauce evenly. With a spoon, smooth the sauce up the insides of the pepper half so the whole inside is coated.
- Divide the beef and vegetable mixture between the four halves piling the mixture to the sides and top.
- Place in oven for 3 to 5 minutes to bring pepper back to hot, remove from oven and cover with a slice of provolone cheese. Place back in oven just long enough to melt cheese, about 3 minutes.
You may also like: