After the last few months of holiday indulging, we’re definitely ready for some healthier food options and this recipe for Lemon-Ginger Broccoli is both healthy and delicious.
Steamed broccoli is tossed with a light Asian-inspired sauce made by combining soy sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, freshly grated ginger and sesame oil. Some hot sesame oil also adds just a little bit of heat (it’s not too spicy at all – just the perfect amount of warmth) and it really compliments the broccoli and other flavors.
This recipe, originally published here, also calls for a small amount of fructose in the sauce which helps to mellow out the flavors. I think this sauce is delicious without the added sweetness, but let your own taste buds decide – adding fructose (or sugar) is optional.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1½ teaspoons hot sesame oil (or hot pepper oil, which is found more readily at the grocery store, may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon fructose or sugar (optional)
- 8 cups bite-sized broccoli florets and peeled stems (about two medium crowns)
- To prepare the sauce, combine the soy sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, freshly grated ginger, sesame oil, hot oil and fructose in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Steam the broccoli for about 3-4 minutes until tender but still crisp. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli and sauce and toss to coat the broccoli.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: