If you’re like me – the taste and flavors of some recipes can send you back in time! This Hamburger Cheese Bake is the perfect example of a long-forgotten dish that my mother used to make – but one taste, and I’m a little kid back at home!
There’s nothing fancy at all about this comforting, family-friendly dish – egg noodles, tomato sauce, ground beef, onions, green bell pepper and scallions, plus a combination of cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese and Parmesan cheese – all layered together, then baked in the oven.
But the slightly tart flavor from the combination of sour cream and cream cheese in the sauce, plus the freshness of the scallions and green bell pepper is distinctive in this dish – and as soon as I took I bite I remembered this recipe from my childhood!
For those of you who are regulars readers here at A Family Feast , you already know that Jack and I have been pouring through my mother’s old recipe box over the last few months – and it is filled with magazine and newspaper recipe clippings and some handwritten recipe cards. This Hamburger Cheese Bake is another recipe from her collection. After a little bit of research, I was able trace this recipe back to Better Homes and Gardens and we adapted it slightly – using tomato sauce in our version instead of tomato juice for a thicker sauce.Print
Hamburger Cheese Bake
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles (any size)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, tops and bottoms
- ¼ cup green bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown beef and chopped onion in olive oil. Drain off fat and discard.
- Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, garlic powder and black pepper, mix then remove from heat. Set aside.
- Cook egg noodles to just under al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, in a large bowl mix cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, scallions and bell pepper. Mix to combine.
- In a 2-quart rectangular casserole dish (ours was 11x7x1½ inches in size), spread half the noodles. Top with half the beef sauce. Cover with all of the cheese mixture. Cover with remaining noodles and remaining beef sauce then top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes and serve.
You may also like: