If you’re a regular here on A Family Feast, then you’ve probably become quite accustomed to seeing recipes that originated from my husband Jack’s side of the family! But today, we’re sharing a recipe inspired by MY side of the family – this simple and delicious dish called Haluski, or Fried Cabbage and Noodles.
I grew up in a large household with both parents from Polish descent. Every Sunday afternoon was spent visiting my Babci and Dzaidzi (my grandmother and grandfather on my mother’s side). As part of the visit we always enjoyed a simple and very delicious meal – including dishes like this fried cabbage and noodles!
Almost everyone who grew up in a family of Eastern European descent has enjoyed this simple, rustic dish – cabbage and onions fried in butter (I think it’s best when the cabbage and onions are slightly browned and caramelized), then tossed with egg noodles, salt and pepper. Some versions also include caraway seed, slices of kielbasa, or salt pork – but we decided to use pancetta, which added really fantastic flavor to the traditional haluski recipe!
This is pure, delicious comfort food – and it’s best with a great egg noodle like No Yolks®!
No Yolks® brand noodles are cholesterol-free and they always cook up smooth, firm, and delicious – and it was the perfect choice for our Haluski recipe! No Yolks® egg noodles come in a variety of sizes that always cook up right, and for an even healthier option, No Yolks® noodles are now available in Whole Grain too.
No Yolks® is giving YOU the chance to win a $100 VISA Gift Card! Just leave us a comment below and tell us, “What’s your favorite No Yolks® comfort food?” to enter for your chance to win! There’s No Yolks® and No Other.
Haluski (Fried Cabbage and Noodles)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced small 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 ½ pounds green cabbage, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces dry No Yolks® egg noodles, any size noodle
- In a medium to large skillet, over medium high heat, cook pancetta in 2 tablespoons of butter until crisp. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 2 more tablespoons butter, cabbage, salt and pepper, cover and once mixture is hot, reduce to medium and cook for ten minutes.
- While cabbage mixture is cooking, cook No Yolks® noodles according to package direction and drain.
- Once cabbage is tender, remove cover and add drained noodles.
- Add remaining butter and cook to bring to serving temperature.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as desired. (Lots of black pepper is traditional!)
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 1/26/15 – 2/28/15
Be sure to visit the No Yolks brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
You may also enjoy: