At any given time, if you looked in our kitchen cupboard, you will find at least one box of Post Great Grains cereals! My husband Jack and I both love the mix of fruits, nuts and seeds that are blended in a crispy, delicious, whole grain cereal that is full of natural, healthy, and filling fiber!
So it was a perfect match for us to partner with Post today to share a healthy and delicious recipe using Great Grain cereal: our Great Grains Chewy Breakfast Bars! These bars are a perfect option for when you want a quick, easy, and heart healthy breakfast at home or on the road! And – be sure to shop at Walgreen’s for a great selection of Post brand cereals at a great price!
February is American Heart Month – and it’s an important reminder for all of us to take good care of our health and our hearts! According to the CDC, cardiovascular disease — including heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure — is the # 1 killer of women and men in the United States! Eating a heart-healthy diet is just one way to control some of the risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease – and our Great Grains Chewy Breakfast Bars are a wonderful option.
They are so easy to make too – just mix your favorite Great Grains cereal with wheat germ and chopped mission figs or other dried fruit and then mix with honey, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla extract. Just mix, press firmly into a pan and chill until set. Then cut into bars – and you’re ready to go!
- 3 cups Great Grains cereal (we used the Raisins, Date & Pecans flavor)
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup mission figs (or other dried fruit of your choice)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Line a 9X9 pan with plastic wrap and spray with nonstick pan spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place great grains cereal and wheat germ. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process figs until roughly pureed (still a little chunky). Add to cereal and toss to completely disperse figs into cereal mixture.
- In a small sauce pan, heat honey, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Pour into cereal mixture and quickly mix to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down firmly with a strong spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate for two or more hours to set up.
- Cut down the center then either five or six strips the other way to make 10 or 12 bars. Keep refrigerated.